IDDSI Level 4 Recipe – Braised Carrots
Braised carrots are carrots cooked in stock for extra flavour.
This tasty braised carrots recipe can be used as a great side dish for a meal or to use in multiple component recipes, such as casseroles.
Reform Processes: Exclude, Tenderise, Finely Process and Texturise.
1000ml Beef/Chicken/Lamb/Vegetable Stock
- Exclude stalk end
- Tenderise the carrots so they can be Finely Processed effectively
- Finely process so the carrot is completely smooth
- Finely process to ensure there are no lumps
- Texturise the carrot to the correct consistency so that it passes the IDDSI Fork Drip and Spoon Tilt tests
- Exclude the carrot stalk end, peel the skin and cut into 5mm slices.
- Tenderise the carrot by simmering in the appropriate stock until very tender.
- Drain and reserve the stock and finely process the cooked carrot in a blender until completely smooth.
- Check the consistency using the IDDSI Fork Drip and Spoon Tilt test.
- Texturise by thickening with food thickener or thinning with a little of the reserved stock.
IDDSI Audit – Use appropriate IDDSI Level 4 – Pureed Audit Sheet
IDDSI Testing Methods:
- No lumps
- IDDSI Fork Drip Test
- IDDSI Spoon Tilt Test
Quality Audit: 5/5
Nutrition – 1/1
Flavour – 1/1
Colour – 1/1
Smell – 1/1
Composition – 1/1
Audit and serve the food at a temperature of 65C.