Pea and Ham Soup – IDDSI Level 3
This delicious and vibrant soup marries great flavour with texture and results in a balanced, nutritious meal suitable for IDDSI Level 3.
Serves 4. Prep time – 10 minutes. Cook time – 20 minutes.
Pea and Ham Soup
750ml Ham or Chicken Stock
450g Frozen Peas
200g Smoked Gammon – Diced
100g Onion – Sliced
2 Cloves Garlic – Crushed
Seasoning to taste
100g Crème fraiche
50ml Whole Milk
Pea and Ham Soup
- Heat the butter in a pan on the stove.
- Add the onion, garlic and gammon and cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Add ham stock to the pan and bring to the simmer. Cook gently for 10 minutes until the gammon is tender.
- Strain 100g of gammon from the ham stock and transfer to a blender.
- Blend together with 200ml ham stock to a smooth puree. Strain the ham puree through a fine sieve to remove any particles. Set aside for serving.
- Combine the crème fraiche and milk and set aside for serving.
- Add the frozen peas to the pan with the remaining ham stock and bring to the boil. Cook for 2 minutes until peas are tender then remove from heat.
- Cool slightly then blend to smooth puree in a liquidiser.
- Pass the soup through a fine sieve to remove any bits. Season to taste
- Complete the IDDSI Testing Methods for IDDSI Level 3 – You may need to thin or thicken the sieved soup.
Serve with crème fraiche and ham purees drizzled on the top.
Don’t add salt to the recipe until after cooking. Some ham stock can be quite salty but will season this dish perfectly. After blending taste the soup and see if it needs it…. Personally we prefer this one slightly peppery!
Allergens – Milk