Spaghetti Bolognaise – IDDSI Level 4
This classic, comforting dish showcases how diverse and delicious IDDSI Level 4 meals can be. This robust dish is great with a glass of Primitivo.
600g Tinned Tomatoes
450g Beef Mince
150g Onions (diced)
100g Smoked Streaky Bacon
5 Crushed Garlic Cloves
2 Sprigs of Thyme
15ml Olive Oil
800g Whole Milk
150g Mature Cheddar (Grated)
150g Smoked Applewood (Grated)
100g Dried Spaghetti (Well cooked in seasoned water)
50g Unsalted Butter
50g Plain Flour
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heat the oven to 170C.
- On the stove heat the oil in a heavy based Casserole dish.
- Slice the bacon finely and fry until crispy and brown, remove from the pan.
- Add the beef mince, season and cook until brown.
- Return the bacon and add the onion and crushed garlic. Cook for a couple of minutes without colouring.
- Add the tomatoes, thyme sprigs and season to taste.
- Place the lid on the casserole and put in the oven for 60 mins, or until the meat has softened and the sauce thickened.
- Remove from oven and cool slightly before blending.
- Blend the bolognaise to a smooth puree
- Season to taste and if thicken with food thickener if necessary.
- Heat the butter and flour in a heavy based pan and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Gradually add the milk whisking constantly until a sauce consistency is achieved.
- Add the Cheddar and Applewood cheese and whisk until fully combined.
- Stir in the cooked spaghetti to warm through.
- Blend the spaghetti mixture until smooth.
- Thicken with food thickener if needed
Fill a piping bag with the pureed spaghetti and cut a small hole in the end, roughly the same diameter a piece of spaghetti. Pipe the mixture in one continuous stream onto the plate to resemble spaghetti. The pureed bolognaise can be spooned or piped on top of the spaghetti in the usual way.
Try serving with a puree salad using Avocado, Cucumber, lettuce and Lemon juice.
Allergens – Milk, Wheat